The Queen Victoria Statue was placed here in 1887 to mark her Golden Jubilee. The bronze statue was designed by Sir Edgar Boehm and stands about 15 feet high on a base of Aberdeen granite. It depicts Queen Victoria, draped in Maltese lace, wearing her small diamond crown. On 22 June 1887 Queen Victoria arrived in Windsor, accompanied by her four surviving daughters. The streets were covered with bunting. A guard of honour was drawn up. The bells of St George’s Chapel and of the Parish Church rang out. Seated in her open carriage, Queen Victoria listened to the Address, which thanked her for ‘the many acts of personal kindness and Royal bounty which we of this town and district have received at the hands of our Sovereign.’ Contrary to popular belief, Prince Christian did not unveil the statue himself. He directed it to be unveiled by the MP, Robert Richardson-Gardner. In January 1901 the statue looked down on Queen Victoria’s funeral procession as the hearse was drawn up the hill. New monarchs, including Queen Elizabeth II, are proclaimed in front of the statue on their Accession. The Queen outreigned Queen Victoria on 9 September 2015. She is now Britain’s longest-reigning monarch.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one