Victoria Park, at Park Road, is the first public park that Hamilton ever had and is open daily during daylight hours. The site was originally known as ‘Dean’s Bottom’ because it lay in marshy land and was used by children attending a nearby school, where the headmaster was Mr Alfred Dean. In 1889 an elegant cast-iron bandstand was installed in commemoration of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. It was originally built by George Smith & Co in Glasgow, with all the metal elements galvanised to protect it from the weather. It arrived from Scotland, at which point the area was renamed Victoria Park. The bandstand was restored in 2008-2009. The park itself occupies a whole block and contains flower gardens, many endemic plants and trees and is frequently used for free concerts.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one