Victoria Park was opened in 1905, and named after Queen Victoria. It is a park and sports ground on reclaimed land at Freemans Bay (which was filled in between the 1870s and 1901. The park was completed in 1912. The park contains many features. There is an arts and craft cottage, now converted into a café. A skateboard park was added in the 1990s. There is a kindergarten paid for by Sir John Logan Campbell (1817-1912), a former Mayor, described by his contemporaries as ‘The Father of Auckland’. Nearby is the Victoria Park market, which caters to arts and crafts and has several entertainment venues. The Birdcage Tavern, originally the Rob Roy Hotel, was built on the same site in 1885.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one