Victoria Gate is one of the many structures throughout the Commonwealth which was dedicated to Queen Victoria’s reign. This gate replaced an earlier gate called del Monte Gate, following its construction in 1569 by Grand Master Pierre de Monte, a single arch gate with a drawbridge.Sir Arthur Borton, Governor of Malta, laid the foundation to the present gate with twin arches in 1884. It was built by Emmanuel Galizia and opened to the public the following year. Carriages and riders could easily pass through the wider main arches while pedestrians used the smaller passages on either side. The entrances are adorned by the coat of arms of Malta and Valletta, with the royal arms of Queen Victoria positioned in the centre.In 1935, the year of King George V’s Silver Jubilee, the gates were adorned by a huge crown with the dates 1910 & 1935.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one