Upper Barrakka Gardens, like the Lower Barrakka Gardens, offer an impressive view of the Grand Harbour and the Three Cities, as well as Fort Saint Angelo in the distance. The gardens were built above the Saint Peter and Saint Paul Bastion by the Italians in 1775 for the Knights of the Italian langue to enjoy at the end of the day. The stone arcades were originally roofed, but the top was later removed following the Rising of the Priests in 1775. Below the gardens is the Saluting Battery where cannons are fired each day, at noon.The gardens contain a 2003 replica of Les Gavroches, a fine representation of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables, originally made by the Maltese sculptor, Antonio Sciortino in 1907. There is a bust of the British statesman, Sir Winston Churchill (1874 -1965) and a statue of the fourth Prime Minister of Malta, Lord Strickland (1861-1940), again by Sciortino.From 1905 until 1972 the gardens could be reached by lift from the port, but this was later considered too dangerous to use. Since 2012 a new lift has been built, catering for the many cruise passengers who enter Valletta via the Grand Harbour.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one