The Nerang River Crossing was named by Europeans after the local dialect words, ngara, ngarang, meaning little or little river, or neerang meaning little or shovel nosed shark. From the 1840s European settlers began to clear and settle its fertile plains for farming. In 1925 the Jubilee Bridge was built linking Southport to Main Beach at a point a little further downstream from the current crossing. The bridge played an integral part in the Gold Coast’s future as the access it provided soon shifted the focus from Southport to Surfers Paradise as the region’s premier tourist destination. The Jubilee Bridge was demolished following the opening of the current Gold Coast Bridge (also known as Sundale Bridge) in December 1966. The cycle and pedestrian ‘green bridge’ was added in June 2014 as light rail services began.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: City of Gold Coast