The Barber Institute of Fine Arts is an art gallery and concert hall, at the East Gate of the University of Birmingham. It was opened by Queen Mary in 1939. It is a highly acclaimed Art Deco building, designed by Robert Atkinson (1883-1952), and the first ever purpose-built building for the study of art in the United Kingdom. It was set up ‘for the study and encouragement of art and music’ by Martha, Lady Barber (died 1932), the heiress widow of Sir Henry Barber, Bt (1860-1927), a rich solicitor and property developer. It contains one of the finest collections of art assembled in the 20th century, with works by Van Gogh, Monet, Rodin, Turner, Gwen John, Magritte and many more. There are also Renaissance and 17th century artists, and a substantial coin collection.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: The Weston Foundation