River Street forms part of Windsor’s historic past, dating back to the 13th century. At that time it was known as New Street. The name was then changed to Beer Street, possibly owing to the presence of a local brewery, brewing playing a large part in Windsor’s history. By 1791 the name had changed again to Bier Lane, possibly a corruption of the word ‘beer’, but it may also be because funeral biers passed this way en route to burial at Clewer Churchyard (a church close by the Thames). River Street itself took its present name in 1883. Several rows of houses filled River Street for a time. Amongst these was St Saviours Church, built in 1878 and demolished in 1923. The lychgate was moved to Clewer Memorial Gardens in Dedworth where it still stands. In 1926, however, the houses were removed due to severe dilapidation. The land was subsequently flattened and turned into Windsor’s first car park.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one