St. Louis Cathedral is the Roman Catholic seat of the Bishop of Port-Louis. Several churches have been built in succession at this location. Between 1752 and 1756, Joseph-François Charpentier de Cossigny (1736-1809) built the first, which soon fell apart due to a cyclone in 1760. A new church collapsed on 9 April 1773, due to another cyclone. A further reconstruction in 1782 soon ended in collapse. Subsequently, the building was restored in 1814 by Sir Robert Townsend Farquhar (1776-1830), the first British Governor, until the same recurring structural problems reappeared in 1819. Bishop Jacques Leen (1888-1949) rebuilt the structure between 1930 and 1933, and a final restoration was completed in 2007. The cathedral itself was founded in 1933 and is the most popular religious building on the island. The building is in the Gothic style.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one