St John the Baptist Church, Reid, Canberra, on the corner of Anzac Parade and Constitution Avenue, adjacent to the Parliamentary Triangle, is an Anglican church consecrated by Bishop William Broughton in 1845 and recently marked the 175th anniversary of its consecration. It was designed by Robert Campbell between 1841 and 1844 in the Victorian Free medieval style. It is the oldest surviving public building in Canberra’s inner city and the oldest church in the Australian Capital Territory. It is similar in style to an English village-style church and has been described as a ‘sanctuary in the city.’ It has been popular with Governors-General and politicians, and members of the Royal Family have attended services there when in Canberra. The Queen attended a service there on 23 October 2011.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one