Saint John’s Ambulance Headquarters, located in Pjazza Indipendenza, is a voluntary organisation with three branches: The Training Association, First Aid & Nursing and The Rescue Corps. They were formed by the original Knights of St John, whose eight-pointed cross dates back to 1120. The arms and points of the cross were associated with the four cardinal virtues – prudence, temperance, justice and fortitude and the eight beatitudes.The Auberge d’Aragon, to the right, is one of seven auberges and was erected in 1571. It was occupied by the Knights of Saint John from Aragon who were entrusted with the defence of Saint Andrew’s Bastion. It was designed by Glormu Cassar and sustained extensive damage in the 1693 Sicily earthquake. In 1798 it was taken over by the French, and later by the British in 1800. It was the office of the Prime Minister from 1924 until 1971 and the 1964 Independence documents were drafted here. Since 2013, it housed the Ministry for European Affairs and Implementation of the Electoral Manifesto.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one