St John’s Anglican Cathedral stands in the heart of Belize City at 88 Regent Street. It was built with enormous bricks used as ballast, brought from England between 1812 and 1820 and, as the oldest building constructed by the Europeans in Belize, it is another important legacy from the colonial era. Initially, it was a church but it was made a cathedral in 1891. It is the Church of England’s headquarters in Central America, and here some four different native kings of the Miskito tribe were crowned between 1815 and 1845. The interior was made from sapodilla and mahogany wood. It has an antique pipe organ and in the neighbouring Yarborough cemetery are the tombstones of many of the former colony’s most prominent citizens.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one