St. James Church is the oldest Anglican church in the southern hemisphere. It was built in 1774. The current church replaced an earlier building which dated from 1671. This new church seemed to be doomed just like the previous structure. In 1862, the roof fell down due to white ants and the church was closed. The church was rendered in the 19th Century, but by the early 20th Century the render was beginning to detach from the soft red stone beneath. In 2012 the entire building was again restored. It is worth a look inside at the memorial plaques on the wall. They tell the tragic stories of those who were buried on St. Helena.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one