Step inside one of Banff’s oldest places of worship. Here, 11 Taylor Peal bells ring out the joy of Banff’s glorious nature every Sunday morning, and 50 stained glass windows depict Banff’s flora and fauna alongside angels and saints.
The first service was held onsite in 1887, before the church was built. The cornerstone was laid in 1889 by the then Governor-General, Sir Arthur Stanley, the Earl of Derby, who is also famous for donating the Stanley Cup. The future Queen Mary worshipped here in 1901 – in fact all Banff’s British royal visitors have stopped here; most notably, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1939. A plaque marks the pew they sat in.
Did you know? St George-in-the-Pines is the first of only two churches in Canada with a set of 11 Taylor Peal bells, cast by the John Taylor Bellfounders in Loborough, England. Only one person is needed to play the bells. They are affixed to a steel beam and struck by clappers operated by levers.