St George’s Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral Church of St George the Martyr. It is Cape Town’s Anglican cathedral. It was designed by Sir Herbert Baker (1862-1946), the dominant force in South African architecture for two decades. The cathedral is built on the site of an earlier church, the foundation stone being laid by the future King George V (1865-1936) in 1901. Work was delayed by the South African War and only resumed in 1904. Work was finally completed in 1936. The cathedral is now a provincial heritage site. Archbishop Desmond Tutu (1931-2021) is buried in front of the high altar.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one