Southport Pier is not the first pier to be built here. The current one was constructed as part of the Broadwater Parklands redevelopment which began in 2008. Originally there were jetties at this location, private structures used by hotel guests during Southport’s boom time as a holiday destination. In 1883, an 800-foot public jetty was constructed with a tramway on one side. Then in 1913 the Council began developing a concrete pier as part of new public recreation area, including enclosed public baths at the pier’s end which were equipped with lights for night swimming.A picture theatre was built on the pier in 1926. Cinemagoers would promenade along the foreshore before settling into canvas seats in the waterfront pavilion to watch ‘the pictures’. After fire destroyed the theatre, a new one was built in 1932 to seat 1,500 people in comfort and style. By 1959 the pier was in need of rebuilding which led to a decision to demolish it in 1969.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one