Southport Town Hall is the city’s oldest municipal building in continuous use. It was built in the art deco style by Southport Town Council in 1935, and replaced an earlier 19th century timber building. It was designed by the Brisbane architects, Hall and Phillips, who also designed the Main Beach and Southport Bathing Pavilions and Southport Surf Life Saving Club. The Latin phrase ‘Pro Bono Publico’ (meaning ‘For the public good’) is inscribed above the entrance.The Council became South Coast Town Council in 1949, Gold Coast Town Council in 1958 and Gold Coast City Council in 1959. The City Council moved to a new site at Evandale in 1976, but this building is still used by City of Gold Coast as its Southport branch office.Next to the Town Hall is Percy’s Corner, at 45 Nerang Street, which was completely restored to its original state as the former Ambulance Station in 2002. It is named after Percy Raby, the station’s first Superintendent, who came from King’s Lynn in Norfolk, began its construction in 1919 and ran it until the 1940s. It opened on 2 December 1922 and served an area from Coomera to Burleigh. Over the years it has undergone many alterations and is now home to a variety of commercial outlets.The Governor General of Australia, Major-General Sir Peter Cosgrove and Mayor Tom Tate, jointly unveiled the first Commonwealth Walkway disc outside the Town Hall on 9 April 2015.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one