St George’s Anglican Church was built in the 1820s. Leonard Percival Hodge designed the chancel and re-roofed it in 1899. It was enlarged in 1902 when British investors in Dominica were prominent. Jean Rhys was christened here, and her father’s tomb is in the Anglican cemetery (the grave restored by Rhys’s biographer, Carole Angier and her publisher, Diana Athill). She described the church in her unfinished autobiography, Smile Please.
Phyllis Shand Allfrey used to worship here. She is buried in the Anglican cemetery behind the Newtown savannah.
The church went into decline later and was considerably damaged by Hurricane David in 1979 at which point it was rebuilt and enlarged. And then the roof of the church was destroyed when Hurricane Maria hit Roseau on 22 September 2017.