Rottenrow Gardens form a landscaped garden, which was created between 2003 and 2004. Rottenrow dates back to the city’s medieval beginnings, and once connected the historic High Street to the northern reaches of what is now the Cowcaddens area. The origin of the street’s name is subject to debate. Some believe that it is derived from the Gaelic phrase Rat-an-righ, which translates as “Road of the Kings” – presumably in relation to its proximity to Glasgow Cathedral. However “Rotten Row” is a common street name in towns and villages throughout England and Scotland. The gardens stand on the site of a well-known maternity Hospital, invariably known as “The Rottenrow”, located within the John Anderson Campus of the University of Strathclyde. The hospital was built in 1834, but by the end of the 20th century was moved into an extension of Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The building was demolished, except for its facade and the site was redeveloped by the University of Strathclyde as a landscaped greenspace. The gardens contain a centre-piece, Monument to Maternity (1996), a seven metre high sculpture which denotes a giant metal nappy pin called “Just in Case”, designed by the Scottish artist, George Wyllie (1921-2012). Liz Cameron, Lord Provost of Glasgow, officially opened Rottenrow Gardens on 25 June 2004 during celebrations to mark the 40th anniversary of the granting of the University’s Royal Charter.