Ramna Park is a forested area with a pond near the middle and is considered one of the most beautiful areas in Dhaka. It was originally opened in 1949. The present landscape was designed in 1952 by the Public Works Department of Bangladesh (formerly the C & B Department). Today it consists of 68.5 acres, of which the lake covers 8.76 acres. It contains 71 species of flowering trees shrubs, perennials, and annuals, 36 species of fruit-bearing plants, 33 species of medicinal plants and 41 species of forestry and 11 other species.
The park gave its name to the diplomatic district of Islamabad. This dates back to the time when Bangladesh was East Pakistan and the newly established capital of Pakistan, Islamabad, was divided into sectors named after various provinces such as Shalimar depicting Punjab and Ramna Bengal.
The large open spaces on the southwest facing the lake are used for holding National Fairs and Exhibitions. In 1961 the Queen was accorded a rousing civic reception at the Ramna Park with a display of local fireworks. A raised concrete platform was specially built for the occasion, the remnants of which can still be seen in the park close to the lake.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one