Queen Elizabeth Park at 9 Queen Street, was unveiled on the Queen’s birthday, 21 April 2012, in commemoration of her Diamond Jubilee, being celebrated that year. It is considered something of an oasis in the city with its beautiful flowers, trees and sculptures. There are mosaic paths, a koi pond, a towering Poinciana tree and wild chickens wandering about.
Until renamed, it was called Par-La-Ville Park, and was originally owned and planned by William Bennett Perot (1791-1871), the first Postmaster-General of Bermuda. He was also an Alderman and a member of the Bermuda Parliament. Perot came from a Huguenot family which settled in Bermuda in the 1740s. He was a philanthropist who campaigned long and hard for a poor house to be established on the island. The family-owned the park until 1900 at which point it was sold to the City of Hamilton.
Perot lived in the grounds and his house is now the home of both the Bermuda Historical Society Museum and the National Library. In the 19th century, the park used to be an orange orchard, from which 40,000 boxes of oranges were once exported to Boston, USA. The huge rubber tree at the entrance was planted in 1847 and came originally from British Guyana. Perot planted that tree and more than 50 varieties of fruit trees.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one