Pollok Country Park is considered to be Glasgow’s finest park and the only country park within Glasgow. Stretching over 361 acres it is also Glasgow’s largest park. Dame Anne Maxwell Macdonald (1906-2011) gifted the estate to Glasgow Corporation in 1967 concluding the family’s’ 700 year-occupation of the site. She also bequeathed Pollok House, built in 1752, and designed by William Adam, which has been maintained by the National Trust for Scotland since 1998. The house contains the extensive art collection of Dame Anne’s father, Sir John Stirling-Maxwell, 10th Baronet and Knight of the Thistle, who died in 1956. He was a Conservative politician and founding member of the National Trust for Scotland. Sir John, was involved in finding a home for the art collection bequeathed to Glasgow by Sir William Burrell, now the Burrell Collection (See number 20). Sir John owned the finest collection of Spanish art in the United Kingdom including works by El Greco, Goya and Murillo, as well as paintings by William Blake, glass, silver, porcelain and fine Edwardian furniture. Pollok House has a large garden with over 1,000 different species of rhododendron and extensive woodlands.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one