Perth’s Railway Station is sited in Leonard Street on land which was originally part of a shallow lake system draining across the river flats to the Swan River via Claise Brook. The original single-storey neo-classical designed station building by George Temple-Poole (1856-1934) had a single track and one platform. The building was officially opened on 1 March 1881. The station serviced part of the Eastern Railway which ran from Fremantle to Guildford. By 1894 the rail traffic had exceeded all expectations for both passenger and goods traffic and subsequently, a second storey was added to the existing building. At that time the station building became the administrative centre for the newly established WA Government Railways (WAGR). A third storey was planned with an imposing clock tower but this was never completed. The present-day restored building façade is little changed from the 1894 version. The Perth Central Railway Station continues to serve hundreds of thousands of commuters through Perth each year.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one