The Perot Post Office, at 11 Queen Street, was named after William B. Perot, who became Bermuda’s first Postmaster-General in 1819 and served until he retired in 1862. He started life without official backing, meeting ships and tucking post under his hat and then touring the city to deliver the letters. In 1848 he began to produce his own postage stamps, of which only 11 survive to this day. (Understandably these are extremely valuable, one that was auctioned in 1985 fetching $92,000. The Queen owns three of these stamps). Instead of stamping each outgoing letter by hand, Perot was advised to sell a whole stamped sheet of postmarked paper and each stamp for a shilling. Letter-writers tore off a stamp when needed, leaving Perot more time for his other passion, gardening.
The post office is still furnished much as Perot used it, and it still contains a working post office branch. Since 2019 it has been the home of the Bermuda Philatelic Bureau.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one