In 1742 the Royal Navy started using this land between river Thames and Grove Street as storage for clothing and provisions naming it Victualling Yard before the 1950’s saw the space converted in to playing fields. In 1968, the whole area was transformed in to Pepys Estate, with the playing fields changed to public open space there after known as Pepys Park. The Park was originally very simple, a patch of grass, a few trees planted around the edges and a few benches dotted along a singular path. However in 2010/2011 Lewisham Council spent almost £3 million on redeveloping six local parks, Pepys being one. The Council worked with local residents to develop a plan which included installing more lighting to increase safety in the area, construct different play areas to appeal to various ages of children and to open the space up. The project removed the boundary fence which was viewed as a barrier to locals, built in more paths to increase accessibility and added design elements such as wonky lights and a sculpture inspired by the Golden Hind – a ship in which Sir Francis Drake sailed around the world in before it was laid to rest at a mooring in Deptford. The sculpture links Pepys Park to its historical nautical roots.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one