St Anne’s Church is set in beautiful surroundings near Victoria Street. It was built to the design of the famous Victorian architect, George Gilbert Scott (1811-78), who was also responsible for the design of the Foreign Office, St Pancras Station and the Albert Memorial in London. St Anne’s Church is acknowledged to be one of the finest Victorian buildings in the Channel Islands. It was consecrated in 1850 and has a full peal of 12 bells.
The church is often described as ‘the cathedral church of the Channel Islands’ because of its size but the original intention was that it should serve not only as a parish church for the island but also as the garrison church for the military stationed here to guard Alderney against the French in the mid 19th century.
In the Second World War, the German forces used the church as a general store. A machine gun was mounted in the belfry and some of the walls still display German graffiti carved into the stonework.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one