The National Library of New Zealand was established in 1965, formed when the Alexander Turnbull Library, the General Assembly Library, and the National Library Service were brought together by the National Library Act.The National Library work to collect, preserve and protect the documentary heritage of New Zealand and overseas, aid in the work of other libraries, and collaborate with other institutions that form the international library community.The architecture for the National Library Building, opened in 1987, was inspired by Boston City Hall and Birmingham Central Library. The Alexander Turnbull Library contains 55,000 books bequeathed by Alexander Horsburgh Turnbull (1868-1918).Nearby, outside the State Services Commission in Molesworth Street, is a statue of Sir Keith Holyoake, KG, PC, GCMG, CH (1904-83), former Prime Minister and Governor-General, depicted in his Garter robes. The Queen installed him as a Knight of the Garter in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, in June 1980.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one