National Museum of Archaeology is housed in the Auberge de Provence, built in the Baroque style in 1751 by Glormu Cassar. It contains a particularly fine Grand Salon on the first floor, with painted walls and a ceiling with wooden beams. It was previously used by the Knights of Malta as a refectory and banqueting hall. Presently, it is used to host temporary exhibitions. The museum’s permanent collection includes artefacts dating back to Malta’s Neolithic period. Artefacts include the Sleeping Lady and Venus of Malta from the Bronze Age, as well as numerous treasures from the Phoenician period. The first floor houses artefacts from the Roman period.This museum gives a good introduction to the pre-history of Malta. It was originally opened as the National Museum in 1958 with the archaeological collection on the ground floor and fine arts on the first floor, but in 1974 the fine arts collection was moved to the National Museum of Fine Arts in South Street. The museum was greatly renovated in 1998.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one