Napoleon’s House, aka Longwood House, is a mansion in Saint Helena. It was the final residence that Napoleon Bonaparte stayed in when he was in exile on this island. He stayed here from 1815 to his death in 1821. Napoleon chose this house based on its location. It sits on a windswept plain, largely free from woodland and therefore more secure. The government wanted Napoleon to be treated as a general and his residence should complement an English Gentleman’s country home. Following his death, Napoleon’s House was used for agricultural purposes. It has now become a museum which is owned by the French Government. This is one of two museums that are on Saint Helena. The other is the Museum of Saint Helena. Today you will find the house prepared as if to replicate what it would have been like when Napoleon lived there. Guided tours are also available.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one