The Morne Bruce Cross stands on the Morne, reached from the Botanical Gardens up a route called Jack’s Walk, named after the Union Jack (which flew here) because soldiers took it as a short cut back from Roseau to the Garrison. It overlooks Roseau from above the Botanical Gardens, giving a bird’s eye view of the city.
The cross, known as ‘the Shrine’ was made of cast concrete and erected in 1928 at the instigation of the Roman Catholic Bishop, James Morris (Bishop of Roseau from 1922 to 1957). It symbolized the protection of the town and the harbour beyond. It is like a giant crucifix and is a focus for religious pilgrimages. Dr Lennox Honychurch recalled that ‘one local wit at the time, who was no friend of the head of the diocese, commented that the shrine reminded him of the Bishop’s mind: ‘A lot of spikes and very little Jesus!’