Macintosh Island Bridge is a 110-metre cycle and pedestrian link across a branch of the Nerang River, connecting the park to the surfing beach at Narrowneck. It was built in 2007.North of the bridge is Cable Street, and Cable Park, a landmark in Australia’s telecommunication history. It was established there in 1888 as the base of the Pacific Telegraph Cable, part of the All Red Line of electrical telegraphs that linked much of the British Empire. The cable route was Australia’s main communication link with the world linking nearby Southport, New Zealand, Norfolk Island, Fiji, Fanning Island and Canada. In Canada the cable met overland telegraph cables. Messages then travelled across Canada before reaching the submarine cable crossing to Britain. It operated from 1902 until 1962, when it was superseded by modern technology. From 1902 to 1923 Southport was the terminal for all telegraph calls from overseas, from where they were transmitted onwards throughout Australia.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one