Luna Park is an amusement park at 1 Olympic Drive, Milsons Point. It was opened there in 1935, and was at one time one of Sydney’s trademarks, with the huge laughing face. Though closed at various times, has now been open after redevelopment since 2004. The land on which it was built was originally occupied by the Cammeraigal clan, part of the larger Kuringgai Tribe. Robert Campbell (1804-59) bought land on Milson Point, including the site of Luna Park. In 1893 the site was acquired for the construction of the North Shore Railway Line and a train station opened. The site was used for workshops, cranes and railways sidings while the bridge was being built. On completion, tenders were invited for the development of the site. Luna Park was opened on 4 October 1935, and immediately popular with a big dipper and other attractions. Its heyday was between 1935 and 1970.
When Luna Park reopened in 2004, it had a Big Top and a redesigned Crystal Palace. There is a smiling face, inspired by a similar one in Melbourne. There is a Hair Raiser, Wild Mouse roller coaster, a Ferris Wheel, carousel and rides for children. 200,000 visited within the first two months.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one