Lionel Perry Park is on the banks of the Nerang River and was named after Lionel Perry (1913-88), in recognition of his role in developing the city’s parks and gardens. He was one of the key figures who ensured the preservation of green spaces as the Gold Coast developed. He arrived in Southport with his family in 1946 and became the Council’s chief inspector. He played a key role in shaping the Gold Coast’s urban landscape and, along with Mick Schamburg, the Council’s Parks and Gardens superintendent, is credited with developing many of the area’s parks and reserves.In earlier days cows grazed on the banks of the Nerang River where Lionel Perry Park now stands. After European settlement, the riverside and surrounding land was used for dairy farming until the lifting of development restrictions in 1954 brought huge changes to the area.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one