Liberation Square was developed in 1995 to mark the 50th anniversary of Jersey’s Liberation. To the north of the square stands the Pomme D’Or Hotel, which was used by the Nazis as their Headquarters during the Occupation. The hotel’s original balcony was the focal point for celebrations when the island was liberated by British forces on 9 May 1945.
At the centre of the square is a sculpture by Philip Jackson (born 1944) depicting a group holding high the Union Flag at the centre of a fountain. The twelve water jets in the pool symbolise Jersey’s 12 parishes. Philip Jackson has sculpted the Queen (in Windsor Great Park) and the Queen Mother (in the Mall).
When the island celebrated Liberation 60 on 9 May 2005 in the presence of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, Surgeon Captain Ronald McDonald (1918-2007), the man who had been first ashore on the day of the Liberation and originally draped the Union Flag from the Harbour Office in 1945 (now the Jersey Tourism office), again unfurled Great Britain’s flag from the same window as he had 60 years previously. (McDonald had also rescued some survivors from the sea on D-Day. A marine telephoned him every 9 June to thank him for his life).
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one