Inniskilling Fusiliers Monument is situated on what is sometimes called ‘The Hill of Good Luck’, from which can be seen Castries Harbour, the distant Pitons and the island of Martinique. It is part of the Morne Complex and commemorates the battle which ended the conflict between the English and the French on 24 May 1796. Because the regiment won the battle, their colours were flown on the fort for an hour before the Union Flag was raised there. On 24 May 1952, HRH The Duke of Gloucester (The Queen’s uncle) received the Freedom of Enniskillen in Ireland on behalf of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, of which he was Colonel-in-Chief, and recalled the taking of St Lucia.
The regiment originated in county Fermanagh, Ireland in 1689 and was posted to the West Indies in 1701 and first captured Saint Lucia in 1778, but it was later returned to the French.
The Queen visited the monument on 16 February 1966, during her Caribbean tour.