The Tourist Information Centre (and Central Station). The building of the Great Western Central Station in 1849 meant that commuters could live in Windsor and travel to London to work, arriving at Paddington Station. (At the same time the London & South Western Railway’s Riverside Station was built, their trains conveying passengers to Waterloo Station). The Windsor Tourist Information Centre is housed in what was formerly the booking hall. This fine building replaced the original station, which was little more than a train shed. The company therefore decided on a complete replacement and the large structure still standing today was erected. It was built to a standard design by A. Handyside and Co. of Derby, large and well-known iron founders of the time and completed in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The Queen’s train was often drawn up in the station alongside the Royal Waiting Room, now the All Bar One restaurant.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one