The Holy Redeemer Cathedral at 10 Front Street is Belize’s Roman Catholic Cathedral, changed from church to cathedral in 1894. It is canonically the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Belize City-Belmopan. It was originally built from the ballast of sailing ships in 1858 but has undergone many changes since then. It has plastered brick walls, massive columns of solid mahogany, and a soaring high altar of classic Greco-Roman design, all of which has withstood the catastrophic hurricanes and nearby conflagrations that have been a feature in the history of British Honduras and Belize. The tall steeples were destroyed in hurricanes and replaced with the current modest stumps. The cathedral was visited by Pope John Paul II in 1983.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one