Hastings Gardens were built by the architect Adriano DeVina and named after Francis Edward Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquis of Hastings, KG (1754-1826), a former Governor-General of India who, following his resignation ended up serving as Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Malta from 1824 to 1826. He died at sea off the coast of Naples and was buried in this garden. Following his death, his right hand was cut off with instruction that it should be buried with his widow. The hand was buried clasped with hers in the kirk at Loudoun Castle in 1840.The gardens overlook Floriana, Marsamxett Harbour and the grounds of the Phoenicia Hotel. The Sette Giugno Monument, which commemorates the death of four Maltese people during the 7th June 1919 following riots with British troops, was moved here from Pjazza San Gorg in 2010.At the exit is a plinth on which once stood a 70- foot statue of Sir Frederick Cavendish Ponsonby (1787-1837), who succeeded Hastings as Governor of Malta until 1835. He was the father of Sir Henry Ponsonby, Private Secretary to Queen Victoria. The statue was destroyed by lightning in January 1864.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one