The Irish Guards Statue stands on the corner of Park Street, High Street and Sheet Street. It was unveiled on 24 June 2011 by The Duke of Cambridge, Colonel of Irish Guards, one of the first engagements he carried out with the Duchess of Cambridge, following their wedding. The Irish Guards had recently returned to Victoria Barracks, Windsor, from a six-month tour of Afghanistan, where they had suffered three casualties. The statue depicts modern combat gear and Osprey body armour, as used in Afghanistan. The 6ft [1.8m] figure was sculpted by former Army officer Mark Jackson, using bronze from statues salvaged during the conflict in Iraq. It stands on a plinth surrounded by cobbles from Afghanistan. Behind the statue is a blue postbox, commemorating the first aerial post flight from Hendon to Windsor in September 1911.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one