Government House has been the official residence of the Governor-General since St Lucia became independent in 1979. Between 1967 and 1979 it was used by Governors of St Lucia. The house stands on the crest of Morne Fortuné, above Castries. The first Government House was built here in 1817, but destroyed by a hurricane before it was completed. A timber house was then built on the same spot in 1819 but by 1865 had fallen into such disrepair that it was abandoned. After that Government House was relocated to a nearby disused military barracks. The present house was built of brick between 1894 and 1895 and housed the Commissioners and Administrators until 1967, then the Governors, and now the Governor-General. Since 2015 the Government has been installing non-profit solar panels to set an example for renewable energy.
During the British occupation of 1762 to 1763, George Rodney was the Governor. There were then French Governors until 1802, after which the island was largely governed by British administrators – Governors between 1802 and 1834, and Lieutenant-Governors from 1834 until 1857. After that the island had Administrators from 1857 to 1889, and then Commissioners from 1889 until 1958. This was followed by the brief period when St Lucia was part of the Federation of the West Indies, when the Administrators were the 2nd Earl of Oxford & Asquith (1916-2011), a peer for over 80 years and grandson of the British Prime Minister, H.H. Asquith, who served from 1958 to 1962 and then Gerald Bryan, CMG, CVO, OBE, MC, a former Commando (1921-2018) from 1962 to 1967.
The present Governor-General is Sir Neville Cenac, GCMG (born 1939), the seventh to hold this post.