The Goswells is the low-lying area of Windsor next to the River Thames. Formerly in the parish of Clewer, it was named after goose fields. In Victorian times it frequently flooded. Edward VII contributed £500 of his own money towards the purchase of the land lying between Thames Street and the River Thames in order to protect the view towards Windsor Castle. In the end it cost £3,000 to protect the view. In 1920 the land was handed over to the National Trust. In the 1960s some of this land was cleared to make way for the King Edward VII Shopping Centre.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one