This structure remains one of the more outstanding examples of 18th Century urban architecture on St. Kitts. It is located on South Square Street, South of Independence Square, and along with other buildings surrounding the Square, is thought to have at one time stored slaves in its cellars prior to their transfer to the plantations. This most English of town houses was built sometime after 1790. By 1836 it was owned by James Berridge. He was a leading merchant who owned several vessels that traded amongst the islands, as far as Halifax and Bermuda, and in times of peace, even with America. Berridge came to St. Kitts in 1794 at the age of 20 “with no resources but his own abilities”. By 1812 he was not only a thriving merchant, but also Treasurer of the Island, Lieutenant Colonel of the Windward Regiment of Foot and Aide de Camp to the Governor. In the early 20th century, the house was home to the prominent businessman Burchell Marshall and his family. It was later used by the St. Christopher Club, often referred to as the Gentlemen’s Club.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one