The two Frazer drinking fountains were donated to the city by John Frazer MLC (1827-84), a wealthy land speculator and philanthropist. Both fountains are made of fine Pyrmont sandstone and were installed in 1881 and 1884 respectively. While both fountains were designed by City Architect Thomas Sapsford (1847-86) and sculpted by Mittagong sculptor, Lawrence Beveridge, they are different in style. The first was designed in the Gothic style and is set on a square base. Four-column groups, which support the wide arches, rise from the corners. There is a crenelated spire surmounted by a lantern, and steps at the base of the fountain give access on each side to the area where the water basin formerly stood. The fountain is now located in Hyde Park South. It was moved twice in the first half of the 20th century. The two Frazer fountains demonstrate aspects of daily life in the 19th century, particularly in relation to water supply and usage, and public health and hygiene. They are also an indicator of the philanthropy demonstrated by the wealthy living in the city at the time.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one