The Powder Magazine and Guard Cells were built by the French between 1763 and 1765, making them the oldest existing buildings on Morne Fortuné. The Powder Magazine was used for the storing of gunpowder and ammunition. The walls were built especially thick in case there was any accidental explosion within it. The Guard Cells were used to imprison soldiers. Next to them are the stables, also built between 1763 and 1765. Nearby are government buildings and educational facilities.