The Falklands Infant, Junior and Camp Education School is situated in John Street on the junction with Villiers Street. The main block was originally constructed in 1955 and a two-floor extension was added in 1990. During 1996 a further new block was added containing a school hall and three modern classrooms. During 2002 a new extension was built with three large classrooms, a staff room, staff study room, administration offices, special needs and speech & language units, a library resource centre, a general-purpose classroom and a conservatory. The school uses the nearby sports hall and swimming pool based in the Community School.
The school has 230 pupils between the ages of 4 and 11, in classes of 17 to 19 pupils, with 16 teachers, including the headteacher and special needs coordinator, 4 classroom assistants and 5 special needs assistants. All the teachers have full qualifications acquired in either the UK, New Zealand or Australia, with local teachers having been trained in the UK. A speech and language therapist spends three days a week at the school and there are regular contacts with hospital staff. Junior music and some physical education is taught by specialist teachers from the Falkland Islands Community School (FICS).
The School follows the UK National Curriculum with adaptations, particularly in history & geography to accommodate the local context.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: Falklands Island Government