Eton Porny School is named after Mark Antony Porny, a French Master at Eton College, who died in 1802. Under the terms of his will, a school for boys and girls of the Parish was established. In the early days, girls were taught upstairs and boys downstairs. They stayed until they were 14 and did not go on to further education. The prime subjects were Mathematics, English and nature studies. The boys undertook woodwork and the girls, needlework. There is a memorial inscription to Mark Antony Porny, erected in 1812 between 29 and 29A High Street. The School is now a one form entry school catering for children aged 4 to 9.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: Eton Community Association