Dawes Point Battery is former artillery fortification. It is now a visitor attraction next to the southern pylon of the Harbour bridge. It was built in 1791 by Lieutenant William Dawes (1762-1836), Royal Marines, the engineer who built the first Sydney Observatory. The first guns came from HMS Sirius. The fort was expanded in 1819 and later buildings were constructed in 1850 and the late 1890s. Most of the fort was demolished in 1825 when the bridge was built. The remains of the Battery site were incorporated into an interpretive park, opened in 2000. The Battery was exposed in 1995.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one