The 29-metre-high Colombo Lighthouse is located at Chaithya Road, Galbokka Point, south of the Port of Colombo, with the statues of four lions at its base. It was built in 1952 after the Old Colombo Lighthouse was deactivated because its lights were obscured by new buildings. Two 4-inch guns were brought out and placed at the statue’s base in anticipation of Princess Elizabeth’s visit in 1952, but this was postponed due to the death of her father, King George VI. The guns are used today by the Sri Lankan Navy for traditional gun salutes. The old lighthouse originated from Sri Lanka’s Dutch colonial days. The lighthouse is operated by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority. On account of the Civil War between 1983 and 2009, the site itself was closed to visitors, but it is possible to get a great view of the port from here.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one