The beautifully designed City Chambers dominate the Eastern side of George Square. They were built between 1883 and 1888 by William Young (1843-1900), a Scottish architect from nearby Paisley, who designed them in the Venetian style with three tiers of classical columns supporting a pediment with two small towers, a large central tower with a cupola and two smaller turrets. More than 1.5 million tiles were hand laid in the vaulted ceilings and domes. First known as the Municipal Buildings, they were the headquarters of Glasgow City Corporation. Queen Victoria opened the building in 1888. The City Chambers were magnificent on the outside and opulent within, with an American lift, a grand marble staircase, a Faience corridor, banqueting hall and silk wallpapered Lord Provost’s Chamber. The City Chambers have come to represent the industrial prosperity of Glasgow and to be deemed one of the finest civic buildings in the United Kingdom.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one