The Cathedral Church of the Redemption of New Delhi is also called the Viceroy Church. One of the most beautiful churches in India, it can be found towards the east of the Parliament House and Rashtrapati Bhavan. It came into existence when Rev T. R. Dixon was appointed as the chaplain to visit India and look into the requirements of the Britishers in India. It was built by Henry Medd (1892-1977) between 1927 and 1935, with considerable encouragement from the Viceroy, Lord Irwin (1881-1959). Medd drew inspiration from the Church of Il Redentore in Venice and created a perfect example of the colonial style of architecture. It is the headquarters of the Churches of North India – Delhi Diocese. The speciality of this church is that it looks like a birthday cake with a candle placed atop and is believed to have been constructed in such a way that it remains cool even during the driest summers.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one